Best Banana Bread – This is our favorite recipe for the Best Banana Bread ever. Moist and Delicious, its a foolproof recipe that comes out perfectly every time.
Best Banana Bread
Way back when I was a new Mom, I couldn’t for the life of me make good banana bread. It would always end up dark on the outside and soggy in the center. My efforts were a little disappointing!
Yet, looking at this image makes me smile as I remember those early days of trial and error with two little ones always at my feet in the kitchen. One day, I lamented to my good friend LaDonna about my failure as a baker. She just laughed and handed me her Mother’s recipe. I have made just a few tweaks to the original recipe, but the credit for this one totally belongs to LaDonna and her Mom! It has been our families’ favorite recipe for the Best Banana Bread ever since! I hope you’ll try it and let me know what you think!
The first thing you need is a few brown spotted bananas like these. Brown bananas will give the banana bread more flavor. I put a few in a large measuring cup and mash them up with a potato masher. You’ll need 1 1/2 cups of mashed bananas.
You will also need: 3/4 cups of soft butter, 1 1/2 cups of sugar, 2 cups of flour, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 3/4 teaspoon salt, 2 eggs, 1/2 cup sour cream, and 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract.
Combine Wet Ingredients:
Add the eggs and vanilla to the bananas and whisk it all together. Set aside.
Cream Together Butter and Sugar:
Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar.
Add Banana Mixture:
Add banana mixture to the butter and sugar. Mix together until combined.
Sift Together Dry Ingredients:
In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
Putting It All Together:
Slowly incorporate the flour mixture, alternating with sour cream. Mix together until smooth.
Prepare the Bread Pans:
Butter two bread pans and dust them with flour.
Batter Into Bread Pans:
Next, spread the batter evenly in the two pans and set them on the counter for about 30 minutes while you pre-heat the oven. Pre-heat the oven to 325 degrees.
Bread Goes into the Oven and the Waiting Begins:
After 30 minutes have passed and the oven is pre-heated, place the pans into the oven on the center rack. Once in the oven, it doesn’t take long for the wonderful smell of homemade banana bread to start wafting through the house!
Bake the bread for approximately 50-60 minutes or until a toothpick placed in the center comes out dry. Set the bread on the counter for 10 minutes. If you pop them out of the pan too quickly, the bread will stick to the bottom of the pan. So, be patient.
Almost Done! :
Run a knife around the edges between the pan and the bread and gently take the bread out of the pans and sent on a rack to cool.
Its a good idea to allow the bread to cool for a little while so that it will be easier to slice. However, patience always runs thin by then and we can never wait to slice into it as soon as its out of the pan. The first loaf is usually gone in minutes!
Our Best Banana Bread has the perfect combination of traditional taste and moist, dense, cake-like texture. We like to eat it just as it is or slathered with butter or cream cheese. Personally, I’m a butter girl: the more, the better! Anyway you like it, you can’t go wrong with this foolproof recipe for the Best Banana Bread.
| “The only way to have a friend is to be one.” ~ Ralph Waldo Emerson |
- ¾ Cup Softened Butter
- 1½ Cup Sugar
- 1½ Cup Mashed Banana
- 2 Eggs
- 1 Teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract
- ½ Cup Sour Cream
- 2 Cups Sifted Flour
- 1 Teaspoon Baking Soda
- ¾ Teaspoon Salt
- Pre-heat oven to 325 degrees and set a rack in the middle of the oven.
- Using a mixer, cream together the butter and sugar into a smooth texture.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together mashed bananas, vanilla, and eggs.
- Add the banana mixture to the butter and sugar and blend until smooth.
- In a separate bowl, sift together the flour, baking soda, and salt.
- Add the dry ingredients and sour cream, bit by bit, slowly alternating between the two and mixing until smooth between turns.
- Mix all together into a smooth batter and set aside.
- Prepare two bread pans by buttering and flouring each pan. Be sure to tap out the excess flour.
- Dividing the batter equally, pour the batter into the prepared pans.
- Wait 30 minutes before baking.
- Place pans on the center rack in the pre-heated oven.
- Bake for approximately 50-60 minutes, until a toothpick inserted into the center of a loaf comes out dry.
- When loaves are ready to come out of the oven, set them on the counter to cool for 10 minutes.
- Gently slide the edge of a knife between the loaf and side of the pan and follow the path around the entire loaf. This will make it easier to get out of the pan.
- Turn the pan over and pop out the bread and set it on a rack to cool. Try to wait a few minutes before slicing into it so that it slices easier. But I wouldn't blame you if you couldn't resist and dove into it right away!
- Eat it as is or slather on butter or sour cream.