Bison Pasta - Easy weeknight dinner coming your way! This tasty Ground Bison Pasta Recipe is made with ground bison, tomato sauce, onion, and Italian seasonings.
- 1 Tablespoon Olive Oil
- 1 Small Onion, Diced
- 1 lb Ground Bison
- 1 Teaspoon Salt
- 1/4 Teaspoon Pepper
- 32 Oz Tomato Sauce
- 1 Teaspoon Italian Seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons Butter
- 1 lb Pasta
- Have the Pasta Water Simmering Before You Begin:Bison Pasta is super quick and easy to make. So, make sure you have your well-salted (should taste salty like the sea) pasta water heated to a low boil before you start. I usually put in a palm full of kosher salt into 8 quarts of water. You'll begin cooking the pasta once the sauce has started simmering.
- Dice and Saute Onion: Dice a small onion and sauté it in a pan with 1 tablespoon of olive oil until just translucent.
- Add Ground Bison and Brown: Next, add 1 pound ground bison, along with 1 teaspoon kosher salt and 1/4 teaspoon ground pepper. Break up the meat and mix it in with the sautéed onions until meat is browned. Taste the meat at this point to make sure that it is well seasoned. It should be tasty!
- Add Tomato Sauce, Seasonings and Simmer: Now, stir in the tomato sauce and Italian Seasoning and let the sauce simmer for 10 minutes.
- Cook The Pasta: Toss the pasta into the water right after you have the sauce simmering. Cook the pasta according to the instructions on the package. Approximately 8-10 minutes. Try to time the pasta so that you don't have to drain it when it's done. Ideally, it's best to transfer the pasta directly from the water to the sauce using a slotted spoon.
- Taste Test and Adjust Seasonings: After the sauce has simmered for 10 minutes, it's time for another taste test and to adjust the seasonings as necessary.
- Add the Cooked Pasta to the Sauce: When the pasta is ready, use a slotted spoon to transfer it directly from the water into the simmering sauce, bringing with it some of the starchy pasta water. The starchy pasta water is the secret flavor booster for Italian sauces! It's also a great way to loosen a sauce that is too thick. So, always reserve a cup just in case it comes in handy!
- Finish the Sauce: Final step is to turn off the heat and stir in 2 tablespoons of butter. Finishing a red sauce with butter will reduce the acidity of the tomatoes and smooth out the texture of the sauce.
- Serve Immediately or Save for Later! Enjoy this Easy Weeknight Meal right away, or separate into meal-prep containers and freeze.
Serving Suggestion: Serve with plenty of grated Parmigiano-Reggiano. Enjoy!
Storage Suggestion: Bison Pasta freezes and reheats easily, making it an easy weeknight dinner option.
Protein Substitutions: Beef, Turkey, Venison, Pork, Italian Sausage
- Prep Time: 10 Minutes
- Cook Time: 20 Minutes
- Category: Pasta
- Method: Stovetop
- Cuisine: Italian
Keywords: Bison Pasta, Bison Pasta Recipe, Easy Weeknight Dinner