Sweet And Spicy Candied Bacon Recipe (Millionaire's Bacon) - An indulgent treat made from thick cut bacon, spicy dry rub, and sweet brown sugar that's sure to satisfy the bacon lover in your life.
This oven baked bacon recipe is super easy to make in under 30 minutes with just a few simple ingredients.
It's the perfect addition breakfast and brunch recipes like our fluffy buttermilk pancakes, and easy homemade waffles. It's also a great addition to serve as a topping for burgers and cheesy potato soup, and so good in a bloody Mary.
Here's What You Need
All you need are a few simple ingredients to make this delicious sweet & spicy treat.
Notes on Ingredients
- bacon - Thick-cut bacon works best for this recipe as it will crisp up and hold it's shape better than regular bacon strips.
- dry rub - Use your favorite dry rub or try our homemade dry rub recipe that we put on everything.
- ground black pepper - Fresh cracked black pepper or regular ground black pepper works here.
Substitutions: Tajin, red pepper flakes, chili powder, cayenne pepper.
- light brown sugar - You can substitute dark brown sugar. Both work well in this recipe.
Maple Candied Bacon - Make a brown sugar glaze with maple syrup and brush it on both sides with a pastry brush at the beginning of the cooking process. The cooking time will vary and there is no need to flip the bacon strips.
How to Make It
Follow our easy step by step instructions below to make this sweet & spicy treat in under 30 minutes.
- Prepare It.
Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on top of the baking sheet.
Lay bacon slices in a single layer on the wire rack.
Sprinkle dry rub on top of both sides of each piece of bacon and ground black pepper over the top.
- Bake For 20 Minutes.
Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of a preheated oven.
And bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Flip and Add Brown Sugar.
Take the pan out of the oven and flip the bacon strips over to the other side.
Sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar over the top of the bacon.
- Bake For An Additional 10-15 Minutes.
Put the pan back into the oven and let it cook for an additional 10-15 minutes. The cooking time will vary depending on the thickness of the bacon.
Pro Tip: Continue to bake for a few additional minutes for extra crispy bacon. Leave it in until the sides of the bacon has crispy edges.
Serve. Candied bacon is a tasty treat that goes so well with on a BLT sandwich, in a Bloody Mary, or as a side dish to serve with all your favorite breakfast and brunch recipes like Buttermilk Pancakes, or Homemade Waffles.
It's also so great sprinkled over vanilla ice cream with a delicious homemade Bourbon Caramel on top. You can find the recipe for our homemade bourbon caramel in our popular Old Fashioned Fresh Apple Cake Recipe.
- Tip For Easy Clean-Up. Use an aluminum foil or parchment-lined baking sheet (rimmed baking sheet) with a baking rack insert, like this non-stick baking sheet and cooling rack combo from USA Pan.
Be sure to place a piece of parchment paper or some aluminum foil underneath the baking rack. This will prevent the caramelized sugar coating from sticking to the baking sheet and save you a ton of clean up time.
- For best results let the bacon cool on the baking rack for a few minutes before serving. It will crisp up as it cools.
Reheat candied bacon in 10 second increments in the microwave on a plate lined with paper towel to catch any grease.
Candied bacon will keep for 3-4 days when stored in an air tight container in the refrigerator.
Bacon can sit out at room temperature for up to 2 hours.
Exception: Do not leave it sit out for more than 1 hour if the room temperature exceeds 90°F.
Further Reading: Learn more about food safety in this article by the USDA on how to keep food out of the "Danger Zone" (40 °F - 140 °F)
How To Store Candied Bacon
Store candied bacon in a airtight container for up to 3-5 days. Any longer than that and you should put it in the freezer.
A zipper freezer bag will work well here. We also like to use these convenient glass storage containers from Amazon Basics. Not only are they airtight, they are dishwasher, microwave, oven, and freezer safe.
What To Serve With It
- Buttermilk Pancakes - Fluffy, scratch made pancakes go so well with this delicious treat.
- Homemade Waffles - Super tasty Belgian waffles you're whole family will love.
- Breakfast Casserole - Make ahead egg casserole with sausage and hash browns. So good!
- Cheesy Potatoes - aka Funeral Potatoes. Deliciously cheesy side dish recipe that's great to serve with brunch.
- Bloody Mary - This Sweet and Spicy Candied Bacon is the perfect addition to Bloody Mary's. Not only is it a delicious treat, the crispy edges of the thick cut bacon help it to stand up tall in the glass. It's one of our favorite ways to add a little spiciness and fun to this fan favorite drink.
There you have it. Making Sweet & Spicy Candied Bacon is as easy as that! We hope you enjoy our super simple, super tasty recipe. Try it and let us know how you like it. We'd love to hear from you!
xo ~ Seanna
The Best Sweet And Spicy Candied Bacon (Millionaire's Bacon)
- baking sheet
- oven-safe wire rack
- paper towel
- 1 lb thick cut bacon
- 2 tablespoons dry rub
- ½ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 tablespoons light brown sugar
Heat Oven To 375 Degrees F and Adjust Rack To Middle.
- Prepare. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or aluminum foil. Place a wire rack on top of the baking sheet. Lay bacon slices in a single layer on the wire rack. Sprinkle dry rub on top of both sides and ground black pepper over the top.1 lb thick cut bacon, 2 tablespoons dry rub, ½ teaspoon black pepper
- Bake For 20 Minutes. Place the baking sheet on the middle rack of a preheated oven. And bake for 15-20 minutes.
- Flip and Add Brown Sugar. Take the pan out of the oven and flip the strips over to the other side. Sprinkle a little bit of brown sugar over the top.2 tablespoons light brown sugar
- Bake For An Additional 10-15 Minutes. Put the pan back into the oven and let it cook for an additional 10-15 minutes.
Did you love this recipe? If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!! Follow Seanna's Kitchen and share this recipe with your friends on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest and subscribe my Newsletter for ALL the latest recipes! We'd love to hear from you!
Disclaimer: This post may contain affiliate links to products we use and love. If you click through these links and make a purchase, I may receive a commission at no additional cost to you. As an Amazon associate I earn from qualifying purchases.