Try this easy Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole that will keep your Guacamole from turning brown for up to two days!
Here's the Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole: You have to deprive the Guacamole of AIR! Air causes oxidation which causes the guacamole to turn brown. We've found the best method to deprive Guacamole of air is to use a layer of cooking oil along with an airtight storage container.
- Freshly made Guacamole
- 1/4 cup Cooking Oil (Choose any neutral cooking oil: Vegetable Oil, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Avocado Oil)
Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole: Cover it with Cooking Oil and store it by doing the following:
- Put Guacamole into an air tight container. Push and pat out all visible air bubbles and smooth over the surface.
- Cover the surface of the Guacamole with approximately 1/4 inch layer of Cooking Oil.
- Cover the container with a tight fitting lid. Be careful to push out any visible air bubbles from between the oil and the lid. Any trapped air bubbles might create brown spots like the one seen in this video.
- Place the Guacamole container in the refrigerator and store for up to 2 days!
- When you're ready to use the guacamole, open the lid and pour off the oil.
- If you happen to use too little oil, air might inadvertently get to your guacamole. No worries. Just remove the little spot like we did!
- And there you have it! Fresh, green, perfectly preserved guacamole!
Brown Spots - Caused by air reaching the guacamole. Make sure you cover the guacamole with 1/4 inch layer of Cooking Oil. Any less and you could end up with a brown spot or two caused by the trapped air.