In honor of National Pancake Day, here’s our recipe for Grandpa Bill’s Buttermilk Pancakes. Fluffy and delicious, they are sure to be a family favorite.
My stepfather was a sweet ole guy who would make buttermilk pancakes and bacon for our family on Saturday mornings. One year, my parents bought a grain grinder and he would wake up the house grinding grain for a whole wheat version of this recipe. Loudest thing you ever heard. I remember laying there thinking, “Ugh, could they BE any louder?!” Then, my mom would come into my room and bring me a hot cup of coffee and all was good. Coffee makes everything better! That, and a mother’s love. Funny thing is, when I grew up and started my own family, not only did I ask for this recipe, but I had to have that grain grinder, too! Something about it just felt like home to me. Only, I don’t use it at 6 a.m.!
These days, I make Grandpa Bill’s pancakes EVERY weekend without fail and I smile because of the fond family memories. Only, to my family they are known as my pancakes and their memories will be of me banging around in the kitchen!
- 2½ cups Flour
- 1 tablespoon Baking Powder
- 2 teaspoons Sugar
- 1 teaspoon Salt
- ¼ cup Shortening
- 2 eggs
- 2½ cups Buttermilk (or regular milk)
- Vegetable Oil for frying.
- Preheat griddle or frying pan on medium heat.
- Sift the dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl.
- Add the eggs, shortening and milk.
- Mix at low speed until flour is incorporated. Then increase the speed and mix until batter has a smooth consistency.
- Add vegetable oil to the preheated frying pan. The amount can vary from just enough to coat and keep pancakes from sticking to 2-4 tablespoons or more for crispy edges. Wait for the oil to get hot.
- Ladle bater onto hot oil and begin to fry pancakes. You'll know the pancakes are ready to flip when you see tiny bubbles form on top of the pancakes. When you see this, flip them over and cook until golden brown.
- Keep frying pancakes in batches like this, adding oil to the pan before each new batch.
- Put pancakes on a platter in a warm oven or serve as they become ready.
- Serve with your favorite topping and Enjoy!