Today I'm making one of my favorite desserts ever... my Mom's Irresistible Chocolate Chip Cake. It is a wonderfully moist sour cream cake with the most amazing chocolatey butter topping. It's really the best!
I remember as a kid I would split a piece in half and give my mom the cake and run off with all the topping. Happy memory. Well, today is the first day of school, and I'm hoping that when my kids walk in the door that the smell of warm chocolate chip cake makes them happy, too.
Ingredients for Mom's Irresistible Chocolate Chip Cake :
Here's what you'll need for the cake:
1 cup Sugar, ½ cup Butter, 2 cups Flour, 1 cup Sour Cream, 2 Eggs, 1 teaspoon Baking Powder, 1 teaspoon Baking Soda, 1 teaspoon Pure Vanilla Extract, ½ cup Chocolate Chips
For the topping, you'll need:
½ cup Flour, ½ cup Brown Sugar, 1- ½ teaspoon Cocoa, ¼ cup Butter, and ½ cup Chocolate Chips
Making the Cake:
At medium speed, cream sugar and butter together until light and fluffy. Whenever I do this with a regular wire mixing blade, I never seem to get to the light and fluffy stage. So, I typically use one of these:
It works wonders!
Add the flour and next 5 ingredients.
Beat at low speed until blended, then increase speed to medium and beat for 3 minutes. Now it looks creamy!
Fold in chocolate chips.
Batter in the Pan:
Next step is to spread batter in a buttered pan. My mom's recipe recommends that you use a glass pan. However, I use a non-stick bundt pan just like she always did. This way, when you turn the bundt cake out onto a plate, all that wonderful topping gets pressed together and you end up with about an inch of topping perfection.
Now for the topping...
Put flour, brown sugar, cocoa, and butter in a bowl.
Use a pastry cutter to combine into a crumbly topping.
Next, mix in the chocolate chips. ~I could eat this with a spoon!
Put the topping right on top of the batter.
And bake! 350 degrees for 45 minutes. Or until a toothpick comes out clean when inserted into the cake.
Doesn't it look good?
Now, for the tricky part...getting the cake out onto the plate.
Put a plate right on top of the cake pan, like this...
Using pot holders, grip the rim of the cake pan and the plate together tightly. Don't let them go while you flip the cake over and out of the pan or the cake will go flying!
Now, just take the cake pan off of the cake and set it aside. It should come off easily, with none of the cake sticking to the pan.
Success! One more thing...
How about dusting it with a little powdered sugar?! ...And voila! A perfect Chocolate Chip Cake! Hungry?
Here's the topping perfection I was talking about... Yum!
I hope you'll try this recipe and let me know what you think!
Mom's Irresistible Chocolate Chip Cake
For Cake Batter:
- 1 cup sugar
- ½ cup butter
- 2 cups flour
- 1 cup sour cream
- 2 eggs
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- ½ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup brown sugar
- 1-½ teaspoon cocoa
- ¼ cup salted butter
- ½ cup chocolate chips
- Cream Butter and Sugar. At medium speed, beat sugar and room temperature butter until light and fluffy.1 cup sugar, ½ cup butter
- Add Flour and Next 5 Ingredients. Add 2 cups flour and next 5 ingredients.2 cups flour, 1 cup sour cream, 2 eggs, 1 teaspoon baking powder, 1 teaspoon baking soda, 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Mix Batter. Beat at low speed until just blended, then beat at medium speed for 3 minutes.
- Add Chocolate Chips. Stir in ½ cup chocolate chips.½ cup chocolate chips
- Transfer Batter to Pan. Spread evenly in a buttered Bundt pan or 13" x 9" glass baking dish.
- Combine Topping Ingredients. For the topping, mix together flour, brown sugar, and cocoa in a medium bowl.½ cup all-purpose flour, ½ cup brown sugar, 1-½ teaspoon cocoa
- Cut in Butter. Using a pastry cutter, cut in butter so that tiny pea-sized pieces of butter are mixed in through out the topping.¼ cup salted butter
- Add Chocolate Chips. Stir in chocolate chips½ cup chocolate chips
- Pour on Topping. Pour topping evenly over the batter in the pan.
- Bake. Bake at 325-350°F for 35-45 minutes.
Room Temperature IngredientsMake sure butter and eggs are room temperature.
Great family recipe!
Thanks Russ. It was my Mom's recipe and my favorite cake growing up.
MJ & Big Ed
Hi! For the chocolate chip cake we don't see what quantity of each ingredient we need......are we missing something?
Thanks for the help MJ and Big Ed! I have updated the recipe to include a list of ingredient amounts in the text and also added a printable recipe. Not sure what happened there, but I sure am glad you let me know! Thank you!