Oma's Spaghetti, my German Grandmother's take on Spaghetti is a quick, savory dish that takes 30 minutes to make. Ground beef, onions and celery sauteed in BUTTER! This recipe is a family favorite!
Here's a little video I made to show you the process:
Oma's Spaghetti is super easy to make and you just need a few ingredients: 1 Pound Ground Sirloin, 1 Small Onion, diced, 2 Stalks of Celery, diced, 1 Small Can of Diced Tomatoes, 4 Tablespoons of Butter, and a little Salt and Pepper.
4 Easy Steps:
Step 1: Sweat the Onions on low heat in 1 Tablespoon of Butter until just translucent. You don't want the onions to caramelize. You just want them softened, white in color and kind of opaque.
Step 2: Add the Ground Sirloin and some salt and pepper, and stir it in with the onions until the beef is browned. The beef should be pretty tasty at this point. So give it a try and add some more salt if it needs it. This way, you are layering the flavors and building the foundation for a great tasting sauce.
Step 3: Once the beef is browned and tasty, mix in the tomatoes and the celery. Put the lid on the pan and let it simmer away for 15-20 minutes.
Step 4: Add 3 Tablespoons of Butter to finish the sauce and give it a smooth texture. Here is a helpful little article on FineCooking.com about "Finishing Sauces with Butter".
And there you have it! A quick and tasty sauce ready to serve on your favorite pasta.
Traditionally, we have always served Oma's Spaghetti on Spaghetti, of course and with a lot of parmesan cheese. But it's great on any kind of pasta you like!
Oma's Spaghetti is easily frozen and reheated for a fast weeknight meal.
Share the Love:
Did you make this recipe? Let me know what you think in the comments below and leave a full rating if you liked it! I'd love to hear from you! Still thinking about it? Then why not pin the recipe for later? Tag @SeannasKitchen and hashtag it #SeannasKitchen and #OmasSpaghetti with pictures of your finished dish! I'd love to see the pics!
- 1 Pound ground sirloin
- 1 small onion Diced
- 2 stalks celery
- 1 small can diced tomatoes
- 4 Tablespoons butter
- 1 Teaspoon salt
- ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1 lb spaghetti
- Sweat Onions. Sweat the onions on low heat in 1 tablespoon of butter until just translucent. You don't want the onions to caramelize. You just want them softened, white in color and kind of opaque.1 small onion
- Sauté Ground Beef. Add the ground sirloin and some salt and pepper, and stir it in with the onions until the ground beef is browned. The browned hamburger should be pretty tasty at this point. So give it a try and add some more salt if it needs it. This way, you are layering the flavors and building the foundation for a great tasting sauce.1 Pound ground sirloin, 1 Teaspoon salt, ¼ Teaspoon ground black pepper
- Simmer. Once the beef is browned and tasty, mix in the tomatoes and the celery. Put the lid on the pan and let it simmer for 15-20 minutes.2 stalks celery, 1 small can diced tomatoes
- Finish. Add 3 Tablespoons of butter to finish the sauce and give it a smooth texture and mellow flavor. And serve on your favorite cooked pasta.4 Tablespoons butter, 1 lb spaghetti
This is the best spaghetti recipe on earth!
Thank you so much! 😊
I'm making it as I type. You don't drain the grease from the ground sirloin? Hey, I'm all for NOT, just wondering.
Hey Sue, I don't drain it. I would maybe for ground round or ground chuck though. This is for sure not a low fat recipe. Don't forget to add ALL the butter. It's so good! Hope you liked it. So sorry for delay in reply. I didn't see your comment until just now!
Absolutely delicious. I do add garlic but just as good without it.
Thanks Judy. So glad you like it. Garlic is a good addition!
This looks super good. I definitely need to add it to my easy weeknight dinners rotation.
Hey Thank You, Laura! This recipe is definitely one of our all time favorites! It's delish!
Wasn't sure what it would taste like but it is delicious. I make this once a week,
easy and so good.
Thanks Judy! Makes me so happy to hear. Its great comfort food, for sure!
Oma's Spaghetti was fabulous. The taste delicious. We finished the entire recipe in one sitting. None left to freeze. Will have to double it next time.
I’m so glad you enjoyed it! I know Dad loves it! It’s always been a Chambers family favorite! 💜