Learn how to keep Guacamole from turning brown with this Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole! Have fresh and green, perfectly preserved guacamole for up to 2 days!
There are a lot of ideas out there about how to do this. We've tried our share of "foolproof" methods and have landed the one method we find most reliable! And we're here to share it with you!
What's the Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole?
You have to deprive the Guacamole of AIR! Air causes oxidation which causes the guacamole to turn brown. We've found the best method to deprive Guacamole of air is to use a layer of neutral cooking oil and an airtight storage container.
How to Keep your Guacamole from Turning Brown
Place fresh guacamole in an airtight container with a ¼ inch layer of neutral cooking oil covering the top of it. Cover the container with a tight fitting lid while being careful to squeeze out any visible air bubbles from between the oil and lid. Store the container in the refrigerator for up to 2 days!
- How to Keep Guacamole from Turning Brown - From the experts at Avocados from Mexico.
- Guacamole - I first learned about this guacamole saving tip from Nagi over at Recipe Tin Eats!
We hope you find this Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole as incredibly useful as we do and that you'll share this tasty tip with your friends on social! Let us know what you think in the comments. We'd love to hear from you!
xo ~ Seanna
Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole
- 1 cup guacamole
- ¼ cup cooking oil (not consumed) Choose any neutral cooking oil: Vegetable Oil, Olive Oil, Canola Oil, Avocado Oil
Make Ahead Secret for Guacamole - Cover it with Cooking Oil and store it by doing the following:
- Transfer to jar. Put Guacamole into an airtight container. Push and pat out all visible air bubbles and smooth over the surface.1 cup guacamole
- Cover with oil. Cover the surface of the Guacamole with approximately ¼ inch layer of Cooking Oil.¼ cup cooking oil (not consumed)
- Seal jar. Be careful to push out any visible air bubbles from between the oil and the lid. Any trapped air bubbles might create brown spots like the one seen in this video.https://vimeo.com/502770020
- Store in refrigerator. Place the Guacamole container in the refrigerator and store for up to 2 days.
- Pour off oil. When you're ready to use the guacamole, open the lid and pour off the oil.
- Remove brown spots. If you happen to use too little oil, air might inadvertently get to your guacamole. No worries. Just remove any brown spots.
- Serve. And there you have it! Fresh, green, perfectly preserved guacamole. Serve with chips and enjoy.