The Best Apple Crisp EVER. This Easy dessert recipe is made with fresh apples topped with a mixture of oats, cinnamon, brown sugar, and butter and baked into sweet, syrupy perfection. Amazing served warm with a scoop of vanilla ice cream on top. So good!
Why You'll Love This Recipe
People rave about this dessert. It's easy to make and so irresistibly delicious when served bubbly hot and topped with some vanilla ice cream. Try it. You'll be glad you did. It just might become one of your all time favorite desserts, as it has become ours. In fact, we always keep some apple crisp topping on hand just in case we get a craving. It's is the perfect dessert for two and also a total crowd pleaser (See recipe card notes). You can't go wrong!
This tasty apple crisp recipe is an adaptation of my dear friend Marsha's old family recipe. Marsha, a.k.a. Mimi to her grandchildren, is known for her faith in Christ, her wonderful cooking and generous hospitality. When I was a young mom, Marsha took me under her wing and shared with me her life, her faith, and some of her secret recipes. This is one of them.
Here's What You Need
You just need a few simple ingredients to toss this easy dessert recipe together.
Notes on Ingredients
- golden delicious apples - Preferred for their mild taste and soft texture.
- granulated sugar - Just a little to mix with the apples.
- brown sugar - Makes delicious syrup.
- oatmeal - Use quick oats. Thicker, rolled oats need longer cooking time.
- all purpose flour - Just a little.
Gluten Free Tip: Omit flour and substitute same amount of additional oats.
- ground cinnamon
- ground nutmeg
- salted butter
How to Make It
1. Prepare Apples. Mix together thinly sliced apples with a little cinnamon and sugar.
Make Ahead Tip: Add a squeeze or two of fresh lemon juice to keep the apples from browning, if you want to make it ahead of time and bake later.
2. Prepare Apple Crisp Topping. Mix the dry ingredients together until well combined.
Make-Ahead Tip: This mixture can be stored in an airtight container to use any time. So handy for those times when you want a little dessert for two.
3. Combine Topping and Butter. I use a pastry cutter to do this. But you can also use a fork.
Pro Tip: Make sure the butter is really cold or it'll be difficult to incorporate. I usually cube the butter and put it in the freezer for a while so it gets really cold.
4. Put Apple Crisp Together. If you have added a little lemon juice to the apples, you can set the prepared apple crisp aside and bake a little later. Otherwise, pop it in the oven now.
5. Bake for 45 Minutes. You'll know its done when you see the syrup bubbling up along the sides of the baking dish. Test for doneness by inserting the blade of a knife into center. If the apples are done, the knife will pass through them without resistance.
6. Serve. Serve this delicious recipe piping hot right out of the oven, when it is still bubbling and syrupy. Don't for get the vanilla ice cream. The ice cream will melt into the syrupy apples creating the most sublimely irresistible bite.
Different apple varieties have varying tastes and textures that set them apart. They range from mild and soft to firm and tart. The best apple is one that is pleasing to you. Here are two common choices:
Golden Delicious Apples are preferred for their mild taste and soft texture when baked.
Granny Smith have a more tart flavor and firm texture that holds up well when baked.
Apple crisp can be made ahead in part or in whole.
In part: Add a couple of tablespoons of lemon juice to your prepared apples before you top them with apple crisp topping and butter mixture. The lemon juice will keep the apples from turning brown. Set your prepared apple crisp aside on the counter until ready to bake. Put the apple crisp in the oven to bake just as you are serving dinner. And by the time dinner is over, this warm syrupy dessert will be ready.
In whole: Make ahead and reheat in the oven or microwave before serving.
You do not need to cover this apple crisp recipe while baking. The only time covering might be necessary is if you have chosen an apple that is too firm (like Granny Smith) or used rolled oats instead of quick oats. In this case, just cover it and bake it longer, until bubbly, syrupy, and delicious.
There you have it. The Best irresistibly delicious Apple Crisp. It's as easy as that! We hope you enjoy our super simple, super tasty recipe. Try it and let us know how you like it. We'd love to hear from you!
xo ~ Seanna
Did you love this recipe? If you make this recipe and love it, stop back and give it a 5-star rating ⭐⭐⭐⭐⭐ and leave a comment. THANK YOU!! Follow Seanna's Kitchen and share this recipe with your friends on Facebook, Instagram and Pinterest and subscribe my Newsletter for ALL the latest recipes! We'd love to hear from you!